Brown Sugar Bacon – need I say more?
Dinner club this month turned into brunch and I immediately though of what an amazing excuse it was to try this bacon. I borrowed the recipe from Gina Neely on the Food Network, and impressed everyone at brunch. We all LOVED it and you MUST try it.
What makes this recipe so amazing is that there’s a little bit of spice! It called for cayenne pepper and since I had ancho chili powder, I used a little of both. The cayenne gave it some heat and the ancho chilies added smokiness, which were perfect complements to the sugar and bacon.
I was worried it might be overly sugary and sweet, but not at all – it’s just the right ratio of bacon to sugar and is kind of like bacon candy, if you can imagine such a thing. It was chewy, a little crisp, and not at all grisly like bacon can sometimes be… Go make this. Now.
Brown Sugar Bacon
1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
16 oz. Thick Cut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Mix the sugar and peppers together. Toss with the bacon.
- Lay bacon in single layer on wire rack.
- Cook for 15-30 min until brown and crisp
- Don’t be crazy and eat it right away, even though you will want to, give it a few minutes to cool down.