I finally have one more room ‘done’! When I was still at Craftsy I got some fabric that I thought would make great curtains and I decided roman shades would be perfect in the kitchen. Now that I’ve had a chance to make the curtains, the kitchen is finally feeling finished. Sure, I need to paint the ceiling and touch up some other stuff, but for now I think I can shift focus onto another room. The curtains were a little more labor intensive than I’d anticipated, but after the first one I learned a lot and was able to make the second in an afternoon. Totally worth it for an all in cost of $30, rather than $300 for store bought – and they happen to match my accidental red and blue theme perfectly!
I do like this little kitchen. There is really usable space and I love how I have these open shelves to feature my books, my scale and my blue Le Creuset, and that my Roy Lichentein poster gets front and center attention (even though it’s not kitchen related). I’m not super fond of the built-in, but it has become a rather convenient coffee bar/tool box/linen drawer unit. Before the curtains I did make some other updates, such as removing the pot rack (it really opens up the room) and changing the light fixture from a modernist track lighting that burned out after 40 minutes on, to a nice alabaster looking hanging dome.
All in all, I feel like these small changes and additions made a big difference.
Instructions on making your own roman shades are here – she does a much better job than I could ever try to recreate.