When I was in San Francisco I participated in a CSA box, which I quite enjoyed. It helped me stay seasonally relevant in my cooking and explore some new and different items that I wouldn’t have necessarily picked up on my own in the grocery store.
I’ve struggled to find similar programs with quality contributions in Colorado (though to be fair, I haven’t searched far and wide), but I finally did come across an organization I enjoy that supplies a weekly food box!
The GrowHaus is located in North Denver and supports the one of the most polluted communities in the city with fresh food options. They grow their own aquaponic and hydroponic lettuces on site, and have a fresh food market where one can shop for needed ingredients. They vary prices based on income and are bringing so much to the community with the access to resources and local events. I even bought most of my starter plants there this year – tomatoes, kale, peppers and herbs!
About 1/3-1/2 of my box ingredients are locally sourced or made including 6 eggs each week, a loaf of bread or bag of corn tortillas, and of course, lettuces grown right at the GrowHaus. A few weeks ago the box included garlic scapes, which I had never cooked with and mustard greens, also a new ingredient. If there are more exotic contents they usually provide a recipe, and this one was for garlic scape and mustard green chimichurri.
It turned out SO good! The garlic scapes pack a garlicy punch, and the mustard greens are just slightly bitter while the herbs brighten the whole thing up. They suggested just using only cilantro, but I hate cilantro and decided to just use an assortment of herbs from my garden, which tasted great too. I ultimately served if over salmon, though it would be great with chicken, steak, or maybe mixed in with some potatoes to make a light potato salad. Definitely a great combo to use as a base for so many things!
Garlic Scape and Mustard Green Chimichurri
- 2 cups loosely packed mustard greens finely chopped
- 2 garlic scapes, finally chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives, oregano, cilantro – whatever you have on hand), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor or chopping attachment, add half of the mustard greens, half of the scapes, half of the herbs, oil, vinegar and red pepper flakes
- Pulse several times until very finely chopped and cohesive
- Transfer to bowl and add remaining greens, scapes and herbs. Mix to combine and add salt and pepper to taste