I was going back through some content I had drafted for my old blog, but never posted, and I want to actually bring some of it to life. I still relate to much of what I wrote about travel four years ago in the post below – it’s always amazing how much we don’t (and do) change! Originally written 7/9/2014
When I was in college I had dreams of taking an around the world trip (and let’s be honest, there are days when that is still my wish). I have now traveled to many corners of the world, but through different vacations and experiences, rather than one long trip. Traveling is something that is vitally important to me, and I hope to be able to continue to do for the rest of my life.
In my spirit of young optimism, I sat down one night in 2005 just a month from graduation and jotted down all the places, countries I wanted to go to, and being me, potential contacts in the area – I really wanted it to happen! I’ve kept the list all these years and have gone back to it at different points in the years since then. It’s been fun to see which things get checked off, how many I still want to do, and how some don’t hold the same appeal they once did.
I was inspired to look at the list once again a couple of weeks ago, after seeing a Huffington Post article about 50 cities to visit in your lifetime – I was really hoping I’d have been to half of them, but alas it was only 23 of the 50. And after coming back to the college list this last time, I decided to revise it and make an updated bucket list for 30 year old me. It’s not like I use it as a stead and fast rule of where I travel, but it’s been so fun to check the boxes on a lot of these dreams, and most times without realizing it.
So here we go, in no particular order:
- Argentina – Buenos Aires, Patagonia (Completed Feb 2018!)
- Australia – Sydney, Great Barrier Reef
- Tanzania – Zanzibar
- Italy – Capri, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre
- Egypt – Pyramids
- Portugal – Lisbon
- Croatia – Havar, Dubrovnik, Split
- Turkey – Istanbul, hot air balloon ride
- Western Samoa – I’ve had a picture in my work cubicle for 5 years of a hole I want to go swimming in
- Jordan – Petra
- Peru – Machu Pichu
- Cambodia – Anjor Wat
- Iceland – Northern Lights (Iceland Completed Feb 2016! Sadly no northern lights)
- New Zealand
- Brazil – Lencois Maranhenses National Park
- France – Provence, Champaign
Of course I can think of twice as many places I’d like to go, and am always open to exploring new places not on the bucket list with friends who love to travel, but I think this is a good start.
Added 4/13/18 – just for fun, here are the stops that were on my original college list, which I have done!
- Frankfurt/Munich, Germany – 2006 & 2007
- Oktoberfest in Germany – 2006 & 2007
- Barcelona/Madrid, Spain – 2006 & 2007
- Prague, Czech Republic – 2006
- Athens, Santorini, Crete, Mykanos, Greece – 2007 these were actually all the stops we made
- Nice/Cannes, France – 2007
- Rio de Janeiro, Brasil – 2013
- Africa – 2009 & 2010 (South Africa, Ethiopia)
- Dubai, UAE – 2010
Please note the backwards writing at the top: “I can’t believe how boring this class is / This is the stupidest class ever” Signed by my own name backwards. I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of keeping my own interest.