It’s always hard to believe that a year can pass in a blink of an eye. After 2015 ended, I felt like I had passed the time in a not really ‘me’ way – minimal travels, feeling like I didn’t do a ton in general… I was new to Denver and transition years are always tough. This past year; however, was much more on the mark, filled with many travels, fun house projects, growing friendships and so much more.
I also managed to do New in June for the 5th year in a row! It was my second year trying out new things in Denver and getting to know the city a little better. I still so enjoy this annual project – it’s a great motivator to get out there and reteach myself to not be complacent.
Especially in Denver, with my own home that I love spending time in, it’s become easy to accept a slower pace of life. June continues to be the one month that reignites a passion, which lingers throughout the year. I love my usual haunts, but am continually motivated to try the new dish/bar/walk/park/run/project.
As 2017 is getting started, it feels appropriate to post this, albeit 6 months late. With the new year is going to come a whole set of new adventures and opportunities that I can’t wait to embrace – looking back on all that I did last June brings even more promise for what 2017 can be.
- Reformer pilates at the gym
- Walking the trails in Greenwood Village
- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
- Pool time at the gym
- City Park Farmers’ Market
- First summer food truck at work (and very tasty gyros)
- Playing on the work volleyball team
- First time using a SLEDGEHAMMER – part of the backyard remodel
- Ratio Beerworks
- Meeting Anna Schnelle!
- Summer Art Walk
- Mountain Ranch Bar & Grille at Coors Field
- Mell’s Cheese
- Laying sod! Last step in the backyard remodel
- The Way Back
- Bike to work day – 16 miles!
- Rhein Haus
- New breakfast sandwich from Backcountry Deli
- Los Chingones DTC
- Museum Outdoor Arts
- Walking all the way down Shoshone St.
- Union Station Farmers’ Market
- My first back yard party!
- Walking around Rocky Muntain Lake Park
- Driving home in intense hail and rain!
- Live music night at the Marina at Cherry Creek
- Upstairs Circus
- Sculpture exhibit at the Denver Botanic Gardens
- Hillstone Denver
Well, hello! I can’t believe how long it’s been. Summer swallowed me up and has just spit me out. It’s been an awesome season so far – I took a weekend trip to Santa Fe, my sister and parents visited, as did a friend from Sweden, and I went camping in CO for the first time. Many of these weekends and adventures fit themselves nicely into New in June, and while it was a bit of a challenge, I did it – 30 new things in June!
Being new to Denver, the easiest things to try were new restaurants and coffee shops, but I experiences a fair amount of other places and things. It’s funny though, because while there is a lot to do here, there is a certain uniqueness that’s found in San Francisco, that I haven’t found yet here… the secret stair cases, hidden mountain slides, and things of the sort. I’m sure all in due time I’ll discover some Denver gems too, but this year I was just happy to do my 30 new things and continue to explore this city.
- Novo Coffee
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Softball at a new field and playing in the hail (summer hail is definitely a new thing all in its own)
- Infinite Monkey Theorem
- Road trip to Santa Fe with le boyfriend*
- Santa Fe Cathedral
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Steam Espresso Bar
- Bike ride on Cherry Creek Trail* and a stop at Denver Beer Co.
- Root Down*
- A visit from Brooke and breakfast at Sam’s no. 3
- Deborah Butterfield at the Denver Botanic Gardens*
- Lower 48*
- The Rooftop at the Rockies Stadium
- Mom and Dad in Denver and a happy hour at Prost*
- Joan Miro at the Denver Art Museum
- Bike to Work Day
- Civic Center Eats
- Declaration Brewing Company
- Riding the light rail
- Attending a polo match
- Curtis Park Deli*
- Mercantile Dining & Provision (amazing pastry for breakfast)
- Happy Hour at a bank opening
- Using fondant to decorate a cake – yay Craftsy!
- All the other things – just too many things happened that I forgot to take pictures of like me hosting my first Denver BBQ, having dinner at Steuben’s and brunch at Black Pearl.
* my favorite new things of the month
I’m still here!!! It’s far far too late to say happy new year, but happy first post of 2014 everyone!
I have been keeping myself busy with: A trip to Japan! Rafting down the Grand Canyon! Sunning and clubbing in Miami! Weekend trips to Santa Barbara, Napa, Sonoma and Half Moon Bay! And finally, a whole month of new things in June!
2014 has been a whirlwind so far (I can hardly believe that it is already July – a similar sentiment I’m sure most of you share) and sprinkled in between the trips mentioned above, there have been many new recipes tried, a relationship started and ended, a promotion gained (finally!) so as you can see it’s been busy busy. Despite all the new things I’ve done with the year, I still wanted to make sure to dedicate June to San Francisco (mostly) and do ‘New in June’ for the 3rd year in a row.
For those of you who don’t know, I started this tradition back in 2012 where after a slew of weekend trips in May I realized that there is still so much left of my own city to discover. Last year I was a little less diligent about the EVERY day idea, and just completed 30 new things, which was still a great accomplishment. And this year I have to admit that it was definitely a challenge, and I ended up missing several days, but making up for them later. All said and done though, I did do 30 new things and still appreciated the spirit of going outside my daily routine to get them done!
I was in the Grand Canyon for the first part of the month, which I counted every day as being new. And I was in Sonoma for a bachlorette party one weekend, but again trying lots of new things. So the days available to SF were smaller than the rest, but I did manage to accomplish 40% of the things on the list I created at the beginning of the month (same amount as the first two years!).
I’m so happy to live in such a great place and to have inspired some friends to do their own new things. It’s such a great way to shake things up, I hope you’ll find inspiration to try your own new things.
- Tongue & Cheek, Miami, FL
- Hoover Dam
- Hiking down the Grand Canyon
- Rafting down the Grand Canyon
- Camping in the Grand Canyon
- Pretty much everything in the Grand Canyon
- Prickly Pear Margaritas and a Teva tan
- The Taco Shop @ Underdogs
- Delivering Meals on Wheels disaster kits to SF seniors
- Roller Disco
- SF Botanical Garden*
- Thor’s Ricotta-Orange Pound Cake
- Wiener Races at Golden Gate Fields
- St. Francis Fountain – one of the oldest soda fountains in SF
- Chinatown Library Branch
- Getting promoted into my first managerial role*
- Firemen breaking into my car after I locked my keys in it*
- El Dorado Kitchen, Sonoma
- Kellys Bachlorette & all new wineries: Laurel Glen, Kunde, Korbin Kameron
- Fig & Thistle*
- Civic Center Farmers Market
- Asian Art Museum
- Limon Rotisserie
- Urban Putt
- Palm House
- Harry Denton’s Starlight Lounge (for a Colombian dancing night!)
- Presidio Social Club
- 3 Fish Studios (I picked up some monster art and am taking a class here later this month)
- Etcetera Wine Bar
- Amnesia for Bluegrass Mondays*
* my favorites of the month!
Remember how last year I did something new every day in June
? I had such a great time exploring my city that I wanted to do it again this year. I must admit that I wasn’t AS diligent about EVERY day, though I was close to it, but I did do 30 new things this month! It was just further proof that even after living in one place for over 5 years there are still corners undiscovered and new things worth trying. The month of newness is a great adventure and a wonderful way to stay busy – it’s definitely a tradition that I hope to continue in years to come.
To get real life updates on new things in June as well as every other month, follow me on Instagram: @emsbonappetit
- Lunch in Alamo Square Park – sitting on a bench instead of the grass where I always sit
- Ginger Beer and a party for Mr. Tibbs
- Hike up the stairs to Coit Tower and go to the top*
- David’s Tea event with tea cocktails
- 16th Ave Tiled Steps*
- The Mill
- A proper day trip to Tomales Bay Oyster Company*
- Lydia Fae (my best friend’s baby) at 3mo + new hike in San Carlos with baby and mom
- Molasses Oat Bread
- State Bird Provisions
- A drink at Hard Water*
- Ina Coolbrith Park and a walk down Macondray Lane
- Mark di Suvero sculptures on Crissy Field*
- The Rebel Within at Craftsman & Wolves
- Movie night in Dolores Park*
- Rose Garden in Golden Gate Park
- Krav Maga
- Bar Jules
- Nerd Night at Rickshaw Stop
- Google Hangout to plan for BRAZIL in Nov 2013
- Swedish inspired Midsommar picnic with strawberries and champagne
- SF Flower Mart
- Irish Coffee at The Buena Vista
- Burlesque show for Pride
- Row 1, seat 1 right next to the Giant’s dugout*
- China Beach
- Bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito*
- Glide Memorial Celebration*
- Secret SF staircases
* my favorite new things of the month
Happy Summer everyone! There is no better time of year, with sunshine and warm weather as inspiration, to try new things, even in one’s own city. Since I spent every weekend in May taking weekend trips and exploring other cities, I thought I should get to know my own city better by doing something new every day in June. My focus was really on switching up my day to day activities, because while I had a whole list of fun SF bucket list items, there’s only so much you can actually do every day. So walking on a new street and getting a coffee somewhere other than my regular spots were also eligible as new activities.
I absolutely loved this challenge! I did a ton of fun things and it gave me a new perspective while doing other things even if they weren’t my ‘new thing’ for the day – going for my usual run, but in the opposite direction; walking down a different street than the one I came up; or really noticing a tree I’d run by many times before. And just as exciting as doing new things myself, is the fact that it inspired my friends to take action and check new things off their bucket lists!
I think I’ll have to do another month of new in the Fall just to get more bucket list items checked off, but until then, I’ll continue to use a “new” filter when doing the same day to day activities that are my life. And here they are – an Instagram photo-a-day for every new thing:
- Bier Garten, Hayes Valley*
- 4505 Meats breakfast sandwich, Ferry Building Farmer’s Market
- Bike riding in SF*
- Latte from Ritual, Hayes Valley
- Take the 12 bus (new) to Schmidt’s
- Visit the 2nd story of the SF Ferry Building
- Go inside City Hall*
- Host a dinner date at my house
- Hike to the top of Buena Vista Park and Corona Heights Park
- Rock climbing at Planet Granite*
- Domo Sushi, Hayes Valley
- Yoga at Grace Cathedral
- Clarion Alley Murals, Mission
- Humphry Slocombe ice cream, Mission
- Philz Coffee, Castro
- Mayer Hawthorne at The Fillmore*
- Concrete slides in Seward Park
- The Sycamore, Mission
- SF Public Library in the Presidio
- Wine & Canvas Event (I painted a picture!)
- Arizmendi Bakery, The Sunset
- SF Railway Museum
- Pride celebration in the Castro
- Japanese Tea Garden, Golden Gate Park
- Central Kitchen*
- Caltrain commute from San Jose
- Reading my new Kindle Touch
- Forage SF Underground Market
- Pe Yale Wine Bar, the Marina
- Town car to the airport
* denotes my TOP 6 new things from the month